Friday, October 24, 2008

Valiant. To be, or not to be...

I've been reading a book on my mom's recommendation. It's got kind of an interesting twist on the pre-mortal life and what our experiences there might have been like. It has caused a great deal of reflection. In the book there are 3 distinct groups of people. The valiant spirit children who chose to follow The Father and His Son. The group who followed Lucifer and his plan. Then there was the third group... described as those who were just luke warm, fence sitters. Spirits who chose the Fathers Plan, but didn't really embrace it. I wonder if I was in the "Valiant" group or the "mediocre" group. So, I started thinking about my life and things I'm doing that put me into the mediocre category in this life. As silly as it sounds, I feel like my biggest vice right now is the T.V. Satan has such control over it. And when I turn it on, I invite him and his evil into my home.. my "temple" and safe haven, if I'm not vigilant about only watching the good. I have decided to start weeding out the bad. So that I don't go completely into shock from withdrawal, I will start slow, eliminating only one show at a time.. I've decided to make it official by putting it on my blog... no more Grey's Anatomy. It's just getting downright nasty. There's no way in the world I would let my daughter watch this, even if she were older. Why am I subjecting myself to it?

6 comments:

Luella said...

Good for you... you can do it! I was having the same feelings about six months ago... that TV was taking over my life, so I quit. I now have two shows that I watch (Survivor and The Biggest Loser) and I keep it off besides that. It's amazing how much time you find when the TV's not on!

Arbon Family said...

Shalei, you are so cute! I agree!! I liked it for the romance part of Derek and Meredith at first, but Now they are so grumpy and all the other stuff is just lame! It is going nowhere. I am with you on this (We can be a support group for each other). If you were really addicted you could read on line what happens. Sounds like a good book!

Lualemaga's said...

Shalei, that sounds like a great book you are readng. can i have the title to check it out?
You have such a beautiful family I was looking at your pictures. I love the fall!

Kelli Schwarz said...

I know what you mean! Gray's Anatomy has gone down hill. I can't believe some of the story lines they are coming up with! Nasty. Hope you are doing well. We can't wait to see that new little babe:)

Brandt & Lindsey said...

Hey J,
Just found your blog from D's and Shelley's. Hope things are going well. Tell my best friend Naiya hello! Look us up at brandtandlindsey.blogspot.com if you get a chance. We'll enjoy following your blog. Talk with later.
-Brandt and Lindsey

Erin McArthur said...

You're inspiring. I have had this bud of another idea to consider along the lines of what/who we were before. I don't know that it makes any actual difference, but it's given me a new perspective to think in terms of lineage. Joseph Smith was a descendant of Ephraim. Since our family comes from his grandpa's line, you and I have some amazing ancestors to live up to... some amazing people pulling for us, their posterity. I'm with you on the TV thing too. I don't watch regularly, but I like to catch up all at once online. Next TV "binge" no more Grey's. I love you.